Veteran’s Benefits Planning and Aid & Attendance
Veterans and surviving spouses who require the assistance of another person for their activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing and eating or if the person is housebound, he or she may qualify for a special monthly pension known as the “Aid and Attendance Benefit”. Many people are unaware that this benefit exists. The applicant’s income and assets will determine if they qualify for this benefit. It is important to note that if the applicant exceeds the allowable amount of income and assets, they may still be able to qualify for VA benefits and legally preserve their assets. This can be accomplished by having a well drafted estate plan.
Eligibility Requirements for Aid & Attendance
Aid and Attendance benefits are needs-based. Your family income must fall below the yearly legal limit. Veterans must meet the following requirements to qualify for the Aid & Attendance benefit:
1. Have at least 90 days of active duty (including one day during a wartime period).
2. If the active duty occurred after September 7, 1980, you must have served at least 24 months or the full period that you were called up (with some exceptions).
3. Must be 65 or older with limited or no income, OR
4. Totally and permanently disabled, OR
5. A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
6. Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
7. Receiving Supplemental Security Income
At S. Dixon Law Offices, LLC, if an applicant’s income and assets exceed the limits, we will assist them with preserving their assets through estate planning and education. The VA pension eligibility planning needs to be done by a skilled Elder Law attorney because the veteran or his or her spouse may have a need to qualify for Medicaid benefits in the future. Our firm helps them understand how they can legally preserve their assets and still qualify for the Aid and Attendance benefit without precluding Medicaid eligibility.
For Appointments Our Office Hours Are:
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Consultations & Fees
S. Dixon Law Offices, LLC offers flat fee pricing for all of our services. Please call us at 404.445.0028 to schedule a consultation and learn about our flat fee pricing.